15 Nov Homemade Chaat Masala
A popular spice mix using few spices, Chaat masala certainly is a favourite in Indian cuisine. A Homemade Chaat masala has its own worth.
Chaat masala is a combination of everyday spices like cumin seeds, black pepper and other spices available ready in your spice box. It has a tangy taste that makes it perfect to season your chaas. Its so versatile that you can sprinkle it on fruits and vegetable salads as well. Once it is sprinkled on any dish, the dish acquires a lift in its flavour.
There are many different ways of making this masala. We at home mostly use it to sprinkle on buttermilk and vegetable salads than fruit salad. And hence I prefer to use more of cumin, pepper, ginger powder and hing. These herbs help in digestion and add unique flavour to these dishes.
Lastly, one may feel, when this masala is available off the shelf at any supermarket with so many brands marketing it, why take trouble making it at home? But its so much easy & cheaper to make at home. It tastes far better and different.
Homemade Chaat Masala
- 1/2 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 2 tbsp ajwain (caraway seeds)
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- In a slow flame, dry roast the cumin seeds, ajwain and black pepper separately and keep in a bowl.
- Next add the sea salt and dry roast.
- Switch off the flame and add asafoetida, ginger powder and amchur powder and roast on retained heat.
- Powder in a mixer.
- Store in a clean glass container in the refrigerator.
You can check for more such masalas and chatni powder here