19 Nov Flax Seeds Molaga Podi / Milagai podi
Flax seeds Molaga Podi / Flax seeds chatni powder / Flax seeds milagai podi. Some affectionately call it Gun powder and some call it Chatni powder. Whatever be the name, Molaga podi (Milagai podi) is a ‘must’ for idli / dosa in most of the South Indian homes. Needless to add, despite the presence of sambhar / chatni, this endearing podi always takes the front seat in our house too. This Flax seeds Molaga podi is slightly different from traditional Milagai podi as it uses Flax seeds along with other ingredients. This is very tasty too.
There are, as usual, many different ways of making this podi. Every family has their own recipe. But basic ingredients are dry red chillies, urad dal, channa dal and sesame seeds.
Few years back, after I read about the benefits of flax seeds, I started adding them in my molaga podi. It was a big hit. As a result, it has become a favourite in our house.
Here’s my recipe for Flax seeds Molaga Podi.
Flax Seeds Molaga Podi / Milagai podi
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- handful of broken dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp jaggery powder
- Dry roast the flax seeds and sesame seeds separately till they splutter.
- Heat oil and fry the red chillies.
- Remove and roast both the dals in the same pan in the left over oil.
- Cool everything, add the red chillies first in the mixer and powder coarsely.
- Add all other ingredients to it and powder further coarsely.
- Store in a glass jar.
- Quantity of red chillies depends on various factors. The variety you use, your family spice level, etc. So adjust accordingly.
- You can use red chilli powder instead of dry chillies. In which case, you don't need to roast but add it in the final pulse in the mixer.
- Use of little jaggery balances the spice. However it is optional to use it.
To serve, mix Molaga Podi with sesame oil.
You may find my other chatni powders and masalas here