10 Nov Pol Sambol / Srilankan Coconut Chatni
Pol sambol (coconut sambol / coconut chatni)
Pol Sambol is a traditional Sri Lankan chatni with fresh coconut and spices. It is a great side dish for string hoppers (idiyappam), aappam, etc. However you can serve it with any main dish. I liked it with Pol Roti, another SriLankan Flat bread using Coconut.
You will get the authentic taste of this Pol Sambol when you use a grinding stone (ammikkallu) / or a stone mortar and pestle. However you may use a mixer in the absence of grinding stone, though the result may be slightly different.
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 medium sized onion / 6 sambar onions
- 4 to 5 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- Firstly, grind the red chillies with salt and jaggery powder to a coarse paste. Chillies take more time to crush.
- Then add the coconut and grind further till coconut and chillies mix well.
- Finally add the onions and grind further till you get a paste.
- Do not over grind. The paste should have some texture.
- Add lime juice and mix well.