25 Nov Rasam Powder Homemade
Rasam Powder is a must find in all Tamil Kitchens and most of them is Home made. It is commercially available now in many brands in all supermarkets. But Homemade rasam powder has its own touch. Though it hails from Tamil Nadu, it is gaining popularity all over the country. In fact, few North Indian friends requested for this recipe. This is the recipe to make any basic rasam.
Rasam is a soul food and comforting, therapeutic in many ways to cure cold, cough and related health issues.
As in all recipes, every house in South India has its own recipe for rasam powder. However, here’s how I make it.
Down south, they grind the ingredients in bulk in a Chakki / grinding machine.
Since I make in small quantity, I normally grind it at home in our blender. Therefore, we need to lightly warm the ingredients in a hot pan. Do not over roast.
- 1 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup tur dal
- 1/2 cup tightly packed dry red chillies
- 2 tbsp dried curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- Dry roast the chillies first.
- Secondly, roast the coriander just warm enough to powder in a mixer. Then add all other ingredients together and slightly warm.
- When still warm, powder in the blender.
- It should be little coarse.
Check out for various rasam recipes: