09 Dec Osan Recipe / Sindhi dal with vegetables
Osan is Sindhi Green Mung Dal with Vegetables.
It is another favourite dish from Sindhi cuisine that is similar to dal soup / kadhi with vegetables. Dal is a soul food. It is comforting to eat dal with rice when you do not want to burden your digestive system. When you make dal with vegetables, it becomes a wholesome dish. It has all the carbs, minerals and proteins that you require for a day to keep you going.
It does not use onion & garlic. Hence it is a very healthy and Sathwik dish you can prepare it on any special day when you have to avoid these two ingredients.
You can also add pakodis to this dish if you wish.
- 1/2 cup Whole green mung
- 1 brinjal slit into long pieces
- 4 to 5 cluster beans
- 1/4 cup radish cut into long pieces
- 1/4 cup potatoes cut into long pieces (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- 3 green chillies minced
- 1″ piece ginger minced finely
- 2 dry red chillies
- Curry leaves
- 2 to 3 Kokum / 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1/2 tsp jaggery (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Soak mung for 2 hours.
- Pressure cook with turmeric powder.
- Add water little by little to the cooked mung, mash and strain the mung water using a sieve. Keep adding water and continue the process of mashing and straining as much mung water as possible till you are left with only a fistful of residue in the sieve. It takes approximately 3 to 4 cups water.
- Residues can be used to make parathas.
- Heat oil, add cumin seeds, methi seeds and once they splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves, chillies and ginger and sauté.
- Add vegetables and sauté further.
- Add the dal water, kokum / tamarind paste, salt and jaggery and cook till the vegetables are cooked and the water thickens slightly & is reduced to three fourths.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with rice
You may also like: