23 Dec Sai Bhaji / Sindhi Sai Bhaji recipe
Sai (greens) Bhaji (vegetables), is a traditional and popular recipe from Sindhi cuisine. The main green is palak (spinach). As the name suggests, Sai Bhaji has all the goodness of greens, vegetables and some channa dal added to it. That makes it a wholesome and nutritious dish. It becomes a balanced meal when you serve it with rice or rotis.
As I had written in one of my posts earlier, greens taste best during winter. They are not only fresh but available in plenty in winter.
Though this Sai Bhaji uses 3 types of greens other than the main ingredient Palak (Spinach), you can still make this bhaji if you don’t have few of them. I have explained it in the recipe.
Try this wholesome, nutritious, easy to make bhaji.
- 4 cups chopped spinach (palak)
- 1/4 cup chopped Dill leaves (shepu / suva bhaji) (optional)
- 1/4 cup fesh methi leves chopped OR 1 tsp dry kasuri methi
- 1/4 cup green sorrel (khatta palak / sukkan keerai / ambat chuka) add 1 tomato extra if you cant find this
- 2 cups mixed vegetables cut into small cubes (brinjal, red pumpkin, carrot, potato, bottle gourd, or any available vegetable)
- 1/3 cup channa dal soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 green chillies minced fine
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- In a pressure cooker / pressure pan, add oil and add cumin and asafoetida.
- Once the cumin splutters, add onion, green chilli and ginger garlic paste.
- Sauté till onions become translucent. No need to brown.
- Add tomatoes and sauté further.
- Add vegetables and drained channa dal and mix everything well.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Finally add all the greens. If you are using Kasuri methi, do not add now.
- Give it a stir till the greens shrink. Add ½ cup water.
- Close the cooker and cook for 1 whistle. Simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Switch off and wait for the pressure to settle.
- once it cools, open and mash everything with a masher till you get a coarse & thick consistency.
- If you are adding kasuri methi, you can add now.
- Some people do not like over powering smell of Dill leaves. If you are one, you can omit it.
- Green sorrel is not easy to get. You can add 1 tomato extra or 1 tsp amchur powder.
You may also find other recipes from Sindhi Cuisine here