03 Jan Burrito Bowl / Mexican one dish meal
Straight from Mexican cuisine, Burrito Bowl is one irresistible & healthy one dish meal. Do not be put off by the name. It is very much desi and certainly very easy to make. In Mexico, invariably, meat and refried beans go to make the filling. Perhaps because it is a staple in Mexico and is available ready at all stores.
In other countries including India, however, boiled beans take the place of refried beans in Burrito Bowl. Firstly, Rajma cooked with tomatoes, onions and mixed herbs lends an awesome palate to this wholesome dish. In addition, a lot more ingredients, along with rice & vegetables, make every bite of this dish mouth-watering.
How do you serve this dish?
There are 2 ways to serve it:
1. Assemble each serving in individual bowls or plates just before serving. Let your family enjoy it immediately upon assembling.
2. Alternately, set all the toppings separately in the table. Let everyone build their own burrito bowls. This is more fun.
Come, build your vegan & gluten free Burrito bowl and enjoy the fun.
- 3 tbsp pre cooked rajma
- 1 cup pre cooked rice / millet
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic chopped fine
- 3 tbsp capsicum chopped fine
- 3 tbsp red bell pepper chopped fine
- 3 tbsp yellow bell pepper chopped fine
- 3 tbsp tomato chopped fine
- 3 tbsp boiled corn
- 1/4 cup tomato puree (blend 2 tomatoes without adding water)
- 1 tsp chilli flaakes
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (optional)
- chopped lettuce for topping
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat oil, add half of garlic and sauté.
- After few minutes, add half of onion and sauté till onions become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and mix well till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add tomato puree, chilli flakes, chilli powder, cumin powder, mixed herbs, salt and sauté.
- Add boiled Rajma and mix well. Remove from fire and cool.
- Heat oil, add balance garlic and sauté.
- After few minutes, add balance onion and sauté till onions become translucent.
- Add all vegetables and sauté further for few more minutes.
- Add chilli flakes, chilli powder, cumin powder, mixed herbs, salt and sauté.
- Do not overcook. Allow the vegetables to be crunchy.
- Remove from fire and cool.
- Mix together 1 tomato chopped fine, 1 onion chopped fine, 2 chopped green chillies, finely chopped coriander, salt, 1 tsp lemon juice & 2 tsp tomato puree.
- Chop 1 ripe avocado into medium sized pieces. Mash coarsely with a fork. Add 1 tomato chopped fine, 1 onion chopped fine, 2 chopped green chillies, handful of finely chopped coriander, salt and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Add 1 tsp lime juice, salt and coriander to the boiled rice/ millet. Fill the bottom of the plate with rice / millet
- Layer with rajma
- Next add, vegetable mixture
- Add required quantity of salsa as per your taste.
- End up with Guacamole
- Add sweet corn and garnish
- I have used brown rice. However, you can use any rice / millet of your choice.
- You can add cooked corn with rajma or add corn separately in the bowl.
- You can use ready made salsa and canned beans from the market. But I prefer home made.
- This recipe can be prepared with leftover rice or millet and rajma.
You may also like Burrito wrap