17 May Veg Kolhapuri / Maharashtrian recipe
Kolhapuri dishes from Maharashtra are famous for using fresh, fiery and flavourful spices. Needless to add, these hand-pound spices lend an authentic and unique palate to their dishes. Veg Kolhapuri is one such mixed vegetable curry. Though specific to Maharashtra, Veg Kolhapuri has found its place in all Indian restaurant menus.
Above all, the uniqueness of this curry is the use of Kolhapuri masala. Its a fiery masala that uses coconut, garam masala and spicy chillies. I have already shared the recipe for this masala powder. However, you are free to use store bought Kolhapuri Masala too. This recipe lives upto its name with its special and unique flavour and aroma. Most importantly, its an easy to make dish. As a result, no home party is complete without this exotic dish. Its such a popular dish.
Lastly, serve Veg Kolhapuri with rice, roti, jowar or bajra bhakri, a special Maharashtrain millet rotis.
- 2 cups vegetables (carrots, beans, cauliflower, peas, potatoes, green capsicum or any other vegetable of your choice cut into long strips)
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1 cup tomato chopped finely
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Kolhapuri masala
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Steam cook the vegetables
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet.
- Sauté onions till they are golden brown,
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw flavour goes
- Add tomatoes and sauté further till tomatoes soften
- Add Kolhapuri Masala & Kashmiri chilli powder (if using) and sauté for few minutes.
- Add steamed vegetables & enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Add salt and simmer till the vegetables absorb the flavours of Kolhapuri Masala.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves