01 Jun Vegan Phirni / Almond Milk Phirni
Phirni is a very popular North Indian sweet dish of thickened milk and ground rice. This vegan phirni is made with Almond milk. This also uses healthy brown rice for white rice and jaggery for white sugar. Though the colour might change die to addition of jaggery, this Vegan Phirni tastes equally delicious and more healthier.
Phirni in general has a thick creamy texture and is prepared during Diwali, Karwa Chauth, Holi and Ramadan. It is traditionally served in earthenware bowls. There are several versions of it such as Badam Phirni, Kesar Phirni, Apple Phirni.
I have provided one variation for Mango Phirni.
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown rice (soaked for 2 hrs)
- 1 tablespoon rice powder (optional)
- ½ cup cane sugar / brown sugar / jaggery power
- 2 tablespoon broken cashews and almonds
- Few strands of kesar/ saffron
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Drain the rice and grind to a coarse paste adding little almond milk.
- Add the paste to the rest of the almond milk and bring it to boil on slow fire.
- The mixture should thicken like a custard. If necessary, you may add the rice powder to thicken
- Remove from fire and add the cane sugar & cardamom and mix well.
- Mix in the nuts keeping 1 tablespoon for topping
- Pour the mixture in earthen pots, top with the nuts and saffron strands and set in refrigerator.
- Add 1 cup ripe mango puree after step 4 for a Mango Phirni.
You can check for more such vegan & Gluten free desserts here