05 Jan Gluten free Methi Thepla Ready Mix
Thepla is a favourite dish from Gujarat and Methi Thepla is the most loved one. Winter is the best season to get fresh Methi leaves. We normally preserve many vegetables like green peas that are freshly available in winter. In the same manner, we can prepare this Methi thepla Ready Mix also. It comes out handy when its not methi season or when you are in a hurry and need to make a sumptuous breakfast. The main ingredient in this is Jowar Flour which makes it Gluten free Methi Thepla Ready Mix.
My dear friend Vijaya Santhanam gave this method 10 years back. I have been following this ever since. Unfortunately she left this world couple of years back. I dedicate this to her. I used to make this with wheat flour those days. Once my gluten intolerance came into light, I’ve started making this gluten free methi thepla variation.
This ready mix can be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator.
How do you use this Gluten free Methi Thepla ready mix?
- Whenever you need to make theplas, take the required quantity and knead adding just enough water.
- Alternately, try kneading with boiled and grated potato / sweet potato. This thepla turns out very tasty.
- Lastly, if you do not mind a sweet thepla try kneading it with mashed ripe banana. Trust me, its really yummy. 🙂
Gluten free Methi Thepla Ready Mix
- 1½ cups Jowar flour
- ½ cup besan (channa dal flour /chickpea flour)
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh Methi leaves (washed and drained)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Ajwain (caraway seeds / omam)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 tsp coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp jaggery powder
- Mix Jowar flour and Besan together. Add half of all the masala powders (chilli, coriander and cumin) and enough salt for the flours.
- Mix everything thoroughly and keep aside.
- In a kadai, heat 2 tsp oil
- Add ajwain and sesame seeds.
- Once they crackle, add the washed and drained methi leaves and sauté till the leaves reduce.
- Add salt for the methi, rest of the masalas and jaggery powder and sauté till the mixture becomes somewhat dry.
- Now add the flours and keep sautéing on a low fire till the flour and methi mix well.
- Remove from fire and cool.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
You may check my other ready mix recipes here
Chetna TappooPosted at 14:37h, 16 August
Thank you so much this recipe, we found out few weeks ago that my 3yr old daughter is gluten intolerant and loves eating thepla .. she misses it a lot. Now I can make her gluten free version.
ramagPosted at 20:10h, 16 August
Thank you. Gluten free does not mean you need to miss out on your favourites. There are plenty of healthy options available. Its my practical experience. Keep exploring. Wish your daughter a healthy life ahead.