12 Nov Sprouts Red Pulao with Millet
Millet & Sprouts Red Pulao is called so because in this pulao, I have avoided using any green masala but use only dry masalas including dry red chillies which gives it a red hue.
Pulao is the most popular dish that you can find on any festive occasions / parties. In fact, no party is complete without this much loved dish. Of course, there are many different ways of making a pulao. This dish is so versatile that you use any spice or any vegetables, it still turns out delicious. In this recipe I have used barnyard Millet. But you can use any millet / rice as you wish. It is the sprouts and the masala that makes the difference. They make it healthier.
What makes it different from kichdi is that the rice is cooked separately and mixed with sprouts & vegetables. Kichdi is more mushy whereas this has separate grains.
Make this when you want to make one healthy, quick & easy one pot meal.
Sprouts Red Pulao with Millet
- 1/2 cup Barnyard millet
- 1/2 cup sprouts (mung / matki)
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (diced carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower (any vegetables of your choice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp oil
- Cook millet adding 1 cup water. Make sure that the grains are separate.
- Grind onion, tomato, coconut, garam masala and the spices to a paste without adding any water. The water from tomato is sufficient.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the sprouts, vegetables, roasted peanuts and salt.
- Sauté the vegetables adding ¼ cup water if necessary.
- When the vegetables are half cooked, add the ground paste and cook further till the mixture becomes dry.
- Mix the cooked millet and fluff up with a fork / light strokes.
- You can use any millet but make sure to use the right amount of water so that the grains are separate when cooked.
- You can use sprouts of brown channa or any other pulse. But they need to be pre cooked.
You can check for more such healthy recipes using Millets here