16 Nov Doi Fulkopi / Cauliflower Yogurt Gravy
Doi Fulkopi / Cauliflower with Yogurt Gravy. Here is another vegetarian dish from the land of Bengal.
There is a general feeling that Bengali cuisine has very less vegetarian options. But I feel whatever vegetarian dishes are available, they are unique. you can check this link for this. This Doi Fulkopi is one such dish. It is a simple, easy to make, tasty & traditional dish that uses cauliflower marinated in curd with spices. The best part is you can make as spicy as you want.
I have used my groundnut curd here as a vegan substitute. However, if you are a non-vegan, you can use normal dairy curd.
Traditionally, this recipe uses quite a bit of oil. But I have used only 1 teaspoon here to make it healthier.
Doi Fulkopi / Cauliflower Yogurt Gravy
- 1½ to 2 cups Cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp each poppy seeds (Khuskhus)+ cashews ground to a paste
- 1 cup groundnut curd (normal curd for non-vegans)
- 2 green chillies minced finely
- 1" piece ginger minced finely
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jaggery powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For Gravy
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup onion paste
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For Tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 broken red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Take the curd in a bowl and beat well.
- Add green chilli, ginger, cashew poppy paste, salt, turmeric powder and jaggery powder and mix well
- Add cauliflower florets, mix well to see that all florets are coated with the marinate.
- Leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder with ¼ cup water and make a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and red chilli.
- Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the masala paste and fry for few seconds.
- Add the onion paste and sauté for few minutes.
- Add the tomato paste & salt and keep sautéing till the mixture loses raw smell. Add some water if required.
- Once the masala is well sautéed, add the cauliflower & curd mixture.
- Add ½ cup water in the leftover marinate and add to the curry.
- Cover and boil till the cauliflower gets cooked. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes on slow fire.
- Garnish with kasuri methi and few slit green chillies.
- Since we are using very less oil, its advisable to mix the dry masalas in water before adding to the oil to prevent them from burning.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste levels.
Serve Doi Fulkopi with rice or roti