12 Dec Mexican Rice / Mexican Rice in Millets
Mexican rice, as the title suggests, comes from the land of Mexico. Undoubtedly this is the most popular, favourite and common dish among Mexicans. Lots of vegetables with tomatoes added with chilli flakes and herbs lend an unique and authentic flavour to this dish.
I cannot say if this is anything close to authentic since I have not used long grain rice which the original recipe does. Instead, I have used Millets as a variation. But all I can say is trust me, this rice is so flavourful and above all easy to make.
The best Mexican rice has each grain separate which I have achieved in this. And it uses all necessary ingredients that the original Mexican rice uses. What more do we need? Try out this flavourful, healthy Millet recipe.
Mexican Millet Rice
- 1/2 cup any millet cooked
- 1 onion shopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped fine
- 3 tbsp capsicum chopped
- 3 tbsp red bell pepper (capsicum) chopped
- 3 tbsp yellow bell pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato deseeded & chopped
- 3 tbsp pre boiled Rajma
- 3 tbsp pre boiled corn
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato puree (blend 2 tomatoes without adding water)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat oil, add garlic and sauté.
- After few minutes, add onion and sauté till onions become translucent.
- Add all vegetables and sauté further for few more minutes
- Add tomatoes and mix well till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add tomato puree, chilli flakes, chilli powder, cumin powder, mixed herbs, salt and sauté further.
- Add corn, boiled Rajma and sauté further for few more minutes till the mixture becomes dry.
- Add cooked millet / rice and mix well.
- remove from fire and cool
- I have used Kodo millet. However, you can use any millet of your choice.
- Make sure to keep each grain separate when cooking millets.
- Garlic, red beans (rajma), tomatoes and corn are necessary ingredients for any Mexican dish.
- Mexican rice is normally spicy. You can add more chilli flakes / powder / jalapeno if you wish.
You may also like these mexican recipes: